Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Skip the Red Bull!
Fatigue is defined as “physical or mental weariness“ but for most of us, it just means feeling worn out. As our lives become busier and busier, this feeling can start at the beginning of the day instead of at the end.
Here are a few tricks to help boost your energy and help fight off fatigue:
1. Avoid caffeine! This means no caffeine in the mornings and early afternoon too. The first few days may be tough but you’ll be surprised how much better you’ll sleep and how much more energy you’ll have when caffeine isn’t playing with the quality of your sleep.
2. Get on a consistent sleep cycle. Try to go to sleep and wake up at roughly the same time every day, even on weekends, to help your body establish a sleep cycle. Our bodies like rhythm, so having a regular sleep cycle helps to make you feel rested from those hours of sleep. If you can, try to get 8 hours of sleep every night.
3. Avoid processed or “sugary” foods. Eating a diet low in simple sugars helps to avoid Insulin surges that rob you of energy. Foods rich in protein and complex carbohydrates help maintain an even blood sugar level, providing your body with a constant source of available energy. It can also help you to lose a few pounds while you‘re at it!
4. Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water and decaffeinated teas. Our bodies need water to function properly and to help excrete toxins. Our brains can also confuse thirst with hunger so staying hydrated can help reduce the urge to eat when you’re not really hungry.
5. Be sure to exercise. Taking time to exercise is essential to our overall mental and physical health. Our bodies are designed to move, “use it or lose it!”. Exercise also helps to elevate our metabolism through the day to combat that tired feeling while we’re awake.
So, if you’re feeling extra run down, be sure to use the tips above to ensure that your body is working to the best of it’s ability. By the way, don’t forget to get adjusted, your body will thank you for it!
at 3:46 PM