Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Increased Age Equals Increased Problems?

There is a really bad attitude out there that has people just accepting that with age, comes pain, dysfunction and lack of real progress. I hear it all of the time…things like “At my age, I'm just lucky if I maintain some of my strength.” Or “I'm not looking to improve much at my age, I just want to live out the rest of my life comfortably!”

Those are real quotes - from real people.

Age does not mean that you cannot progress. Age does not mean that you are finished. Age does not mean that you can’t enjoy life to it’s fullest.

I work with a lot of people in this office on a daily basis. I work on babies, all the way up to ninety-one year olds (that’s the oldest patient I’ve ever seen up to now). Some of my greatest success stories have been with my “older” patients.

Age is a frame of mind. It really is. You can always improve your health and always get in better physical condition - no matter how old you are. Now I’m not crazy either. Age certainly can slow down progress, but it does not mean it can't happen.

With a well thought out health program, good nutrition, and proper rest, progress can always be made.

Further, just because you have reached your 60th or 70th birthday does not mean you can expect the rest of your life to be painful in some way. Too many people assume that pain is a birthright and that it is something they must live with. It is not! Pain and dysfunction can be dealt with - no matter your age.

Change your attitude. Look around and realize that there are plenty of people older than you that are working hard, with intensity and are in great condition. Why can’t you be one of those people? Find help. If you have conditions that you feel are “age-related” tell one of the staff so we can help you reach your healthcare goals and live pain free.

Find your motivation. I recently worked with a 70 year old softball player. This guy is a pitcher and plays at a high level with people half his age. What keeps him young and in great condition? His mental outlook. He never once used age as an excuse. Find your motivation and use it to fuel your own fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment